Twitter/Pintrest

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Christmas Train Base

Last year we built a new Christmas Train track base. One that I can easily store and pull out.
Here is the idea

One of the problems when we set the Christmas Train out; is that it lays flat on the floor. You may ask, "what's the big deal about that?".  Well, when you started running the power wires from one side to the other, you had to run them under the flat plywood. So it was no longer flat on the floor.

I thought about running a wire around the edge and just stapling it in place. I did not like the idea of seeing wire, beside we do not always put the Christmas train in the same place every year. I need something a little more versatile. Something that we can put the transformer on either side or the set.


The Underside of the base.
My idea was to add some strips of wood all the way around the track, and some on the inside. This should leave a nice cavity to run wires.

If we build a Christmas Village, we will have plenty of space to add as many lights as we want.

I cut strips of plywood using the new Skillsaw Jig I built.

Tonight I glued and screwed the strips down around the bottom edges.

I should be able to add plugs anywhere needed.

I still need to add a few strips on the top to hold it up enough to stay off the track when stored. Sand, paint and attach the track more permanently to the base is pretty much all I have planed for the track this year.

Next year I may add some texture, and outlets. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment